What compensation is available for victims of crashes?

On Behalf of | Jan 19, 2022 | Car Accidents

As a victim of a catastrophic accident in Connecticut, you have a right to seek fair compensation for all you’ve been through. There are a few different kinds of compensation that you may be able to seek depending on the severity of your injuries and how you will be impacted by what you’ve gone through.

After you’re hurt, you need to make your claim within two years. Once you do, you may ask for damages of various types. To obtain as much compensation as possible, it’s a good idea to keep receipts, medical documents and other information to support your case.

The types of damages you can seek after a car crash

There are multiple types of damages that you can seek after a crash including:

  • Future lost wages for an inability to do work that you would normally have done
  • Property damages, which are for damage to your personal belongings
  • Mental and physical pain and suffering for past and future pain and suffering that is associated with the accident
  • Actual medical expenses, such as the cost of a surgery
  • Future medical expenses, such as those you may accrue if you need treatment for this injury in the future
  • Lost wages from when you missed work

Sometimes, you may be able to seek punitive damages, too, which are damages that are paid to you to penalize the at-fault driver. For example, someone who was drinking and driving when they hit you may need to pay out punitive damages as a kind of fine for driving recklessly and without considering the potential consequences.

Will you receive 100% of the compensation you need?

Connecticut is a modified comparative negligence state, which means that you’ll be able to recover a portion of the damages based on the percentage of fault assigned to you and the other driver. If the other driver is 100% at fault, you’ll be able to collect all the damages you’re seeking if they’re awarded. If the other driver is 80% at fault, your potential award may be lowered by 20% to make up for your contribution to the collision.


FindLaw Network