What happens if there isn’t enough car insurance for your costs?

On Behalf of | May 4, 2020 | Car Accidents

Motor vehicle collisions occur almost every day across Connecticut, and most of them result only in minor injuries and property damage. However, some crashes cause more serious injuries or substantial property damage.

The greater the amount of your medical bills and the higher the total cost of your property damage, the more likely it is that you could be in a situation where the other driver’s insurance simply isn’t adequate. Familiarizing yourself with Connecticut’s basic insurance requirements and your rights as someone who suffered losses in a car crash with a driver without adequate insurance can help you make better decisions and better advocate for yourself.

How much insurance does a driver have to carry under Connecticut state law?

Anyone who drives on public roads has an obligation to carry liability insurance to protect them and others from financial hardship if they cause a crash. Currently, Connecticut law mandates at least $25,000 worth of property damage coverage.

Additionally, drivers must usually protect themselves against $25,000 worth of bodily injury liability in the case of a crash that hurts one person or at least $50,000 worth of protection in a crash with two or more injured people.

What happens when the insurance isn’t enough for the claim you must file?

If someone only has the bare minimum of insurance coverage, your medical costs could easily exceed those coverage limits if you have to have a hospital stay or surgery. Ongoing care, like medication or physical therapy, can also result in expenses that far exceed the benefits available.

Even the cost of damage to your vehicle might exceed the coverage available if you have to fully replace it or if you have a vehicle that is quite expensive, such as an import, a luxury vehicle or possibly one retrofitted to allow people with disabilities to drive.

In some cases when your costs exceed the insurance coverage, your own insurance may fill in the gap. If you have uninsured or underinsured driver protection, your insurance company will cover the costs that the other driver’s policy does not. If you don’t have that coverage or if that coverage still isn’t enough, you have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit against the other driver for your costs.


FindLaw Network