Back child support and business travel

On Behalf of | Jan 4, 2019 | Family Law And Divorce

Divorce can change a parent’s life in all sorts of ways, from reducing the amount of time they are able to spend with their children to introducing stressors such as alimony and child support payments. Legal issues which involve kids can be very tough for parents to work through and sometimes they can interfere with other facets of a person’s life. For example, someone who is unable to stay current on their child support, regardless of the reason, may face other challenges in life, such as losing their passport privileges. If you have a business trip coming up and owe back child support, it is important to explore this issue.

When a parent owes a certain amount of unpaid child support, they will not be able to obtain a U.S. passport. In order to regain passport eligibility, they will have to make payments, and it can take a certain amount of time for their name to be cleared after they are caught up. As a result, you should realize that your business trip to another country may need to be canceled if you have back child support.

Unfortunately, this can lead to additional problems, including those which are financial in nature, for parents who already struggle to make their child support payments. Our law office knows the different pressures that non-custodial parents often face, and we are aware that it can be very tough to stay current on child support payments. Parents should explore their legal options, such as child support modification.


FindLaw Network